(No record of the participants sitting at this table)
I. Who has organization with rules or codified regulations?
- Seven of the eight participants in the discussion belong to organizations that have rules or codified regulations.
- The group recommended that Docent organizations should have written bylaws that stipulate what the members will and will not do, as well as how infractions will be handled.
- Docents should participate in creating these documents.
- An annual recommitment letter or form should be signed by the Docents.
- It was agreed that the penalty for not meeting touring commitments should be not being scheduled for tours or ejection from the Docent body.
- The group felt that the idea of “earned vacation time” determined by service was a good one.
- Many of the participants’ organizations use the Volgistics web based software to log in from home to check schedules, updates etc.
- They also used this system to record time donated to their organizations.
- This helped generate more grant money for their museums.
- It is quite inexpensive and works very well.
III. Recognition stratagems.
- Common recognitions are pins, dinners, teas.
- Reduced prices in museum shops paid for by the museum.
- Also, there are many Docent groups who pay for their own dinners or luncheons.