1. What are the dates and times for NDS2022 in Kansas City?
The 2022 National Docent Symposium in Kansas City begins at 5 p.m. Friday, Sept. 16, and ends around 11:30 a.m. on Monday, Sept. 19.
2. Who is the sponsoring museum?
3. When will registration for NDS2022 be available?
4. What is the cost of registration?
Registration for the 2022 Symposium is $480 per person. Registration fee covers: meals, transportation for events related to the symposium, admission fees at participating cultural institutions and AV costs for the symposium.
Pre-Symposium tours are optional and are not included in the registration fee.
Transportation and hotel accommodations are also not included in the registration fee though we have secured discounted hotel rooms for meeting attendees.
5. Who can attend?
- Usually up to four delegates per museum may register for the Symposium as “regular” docent delegates. One of these four may be a staff member. That was expanded on March 7, 2022, so that more than four delegates from an institution may attend.
- Presenters at the Symposium may attend in addition to the four delegates representing the museum.
- Past and present National Docent Symposium Council members are considered “Honorary” delegates and can attend in addition to the “regular” delegates a museum designates.
- Registration Policy for Local Institutions (Kansas City metro area)
At least one Breakout presenter from a local institution must be registered for the full Symposium. Co-presenters have the option to attend the presentation only and no other events at the Symposium without charge.
Local presenters at the Showcase of Ideas also have the option to present at the Showcase of Ideas and attend no other events at the Symposium, without charge.
6. I will be traveling with my spouse/significant other. Will he/she be able to attend any events?
Due to size of many of the venues, we do not anticipate being able to include any guests traveling with registered members in symposium activities. We will notify registered delegates should this policy change based upon initial responses.
7. What is the COVID Policy for the Symposium?
Please read the policy available at https://www.nationaldocents.org/kc2022/covid-policy.
8. Is transportation provided for the pre-tours, Sunday Afternoon Out workshops, and dinners?
Yes. Bus transportation is provided to and from the hotel for pre-tours, workshops, and dinners. Transportation costs for pre-tours are covered by the pre-tour fee. Transportation costs for workshops and dinners are covered by the symposium fee.
9. What do I do if I have a problem with registration?
If you need assistance or have questions, Nelson-Atkins box office staff will help you; just call 816-751-1278 (9 a.m.-5 p.m., Monday through Sunday). They will be able to help with:
- Changes to your registration ( pretours, sessions, etc ), including: adding, removing and changing your selections
- Payments and refunds
10. I’m a docent; what do I do if I have a question?
- Hotel Questions
- Transportation issues and questions
- Session information
11. Should presenters sign up for their own breakout sessions?
No; presenters should not sign up for the sessions they are giving.
12. I followed the link to reserve a room at the Intercontinental Hotel but I do not see the group rate code. What do I do?
From the registration home page, click on the Hotel link. Check "Click HERE" for more information. Click “Book” and enter the NDS dates in the space provided, whereupon you will be offered the four room options in our contract (basic rates, not including taxes and fees). You’ll notice that other dates are blocked out. The hotel created the link just for us to display our information.
13. I’ve signed up for a pre-tour. What is included?
The cost of the pre-tours includes bus transportation to and from the hotel to the site and entry to the venue. The price for full-day tours also includes lunch, and the morning tour to the Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts includes breakfast. Those participating in the other half-day pre-tours may purchase grab-and-go-lunches at the hotel.
14. What should I wear to the dinners?
You’ll be comfortable wearing business casual for both the symposium and the dinners (the barbecue dinner Saturday night will be the most casual of the meals).
15. How far way is the airport from the hotel? How far away is the Nelson-Atkins Museum from the hotel?
Travel time from the airport to the hotel is about 35 minutes; travel time from the hotel to the Nelson-Atkins Museum is five to ten minutes.
16. How can I get from the airport to the hotel?
The Intercontinental Hotel does not offer an airport shuttle. However, the airport has a page that describes transportation options available to visitors.
17. I'm making my travel plans. What will be the schedule of events?
A sample schedule is available on the Program webpage.
18. The breakout session/Sunday Afternoon Out workshop/pre-tour that I’d like to attend does not appear in the list of options on the registration screens. What does that mean?
When breakout sessions, Sunday Afternoon Out workshops, and pre-tours reach their maximum number of attendees, they no longer appear on the registration screens. Participants will need to select from those sessions, workshops, and tours that still have space.